Saturday, August 23, 2008

creamy potato kale soup.


It is still hot this time of year, but I have been in the mood for soups as the cooler evenings and rain pass through. I like kale - but my husband has the same comment every time I make it, no matter what the recipe. Uh, kale? So I decided to use kale in a soup so that it imparts its flavor and goodness without that thick chewy texture. Kale and potatoes are a good match and we recently got 20 pounds of organic potatoes from a local farmer, so we were set! The flavor of this soup is awesome. Rich, creamy, and the green chili paste gives it a little bite. I have amounts listed, but as with all soup feel free to improvise and make it your own. Makes cooking more fun.

::creamy potato kale soup::

ingredients::
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 cups stock (I used beef)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp sea salt
1 sheet kombu
1 Tbsp green curry paste
pepper to taste
2 cups fresh milk or cream
5 medium potatoes chopped (boiling or less starchy potato is best)
4 cups chopped kale

directions::
In a large pot sauté the onion and garlic in the coconut oil. When tender add the stock, potatoes, salt, and kombu. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or so until potatoes are soft. Reduce heat again to simmer/low. Add the curry paste and kale, stirring kale into liquid. Cover again and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes. Remove the kombu sheet. Add the milk and a few cranks of fresh pepper. Use an immersion blender and blend until creamy and smooth (you can also ladle into a food processor and smooth a batch at a time until all is creamy). Serve warm. I grated some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top.



ingredient tip::
"Kale is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, calcium, vitamin B6 and potassium."

1 comment:

Barbara said...

This recipe makes me want to go get my hands on some kale...which is funny, since I've had so much kale in my garden this year that I've had to give it away...we've had an unseasonably cool and wet summer (by NC standards)so the kale went on and on and on. Even a little long for a kale lover like me. But it seems like such a good combo with all those garden-fresh taters I have...