Wednesday, July 6, 2011

lacto fermented garlic scapes


While I love the twang of vinegar based pickled vegetables, I definitely think there is a place on the table for lacto fermented vegetables. The lacto fermentation leaves you with a heady flavor of the original vegetable, a salty brineyness (well, it should be a word) and that nice crispy bite. Another think I love about lacto fermentation - in addition to the healthy benefits - is that it is easy to make in small batches. It isn't a whole kitchen all day canning extravaganza if you don't want it to be. I often make a pint of this, a quart of that, little by little - whatever you have leftover. Having some nice pickles on the side with dinner is really yummy and they also are always wonderful on a snack platter type of thing.

Last week I made a pint of lacto fermented garlic scapes. Super easy to do, and I really love them chopped on salads!


::lacto-fermented garlic scapes::

For all of my lacto fermented veggies I basically use the recipe from Nourishing Traditions.

Take up to about 10-15 clean garlic scapes (will vary based on how big yours are and the type of canning jar you use). You can cut off at the flower head spot, or leave on--your call.

Cut them into pieces that are the height of your canning jar - give yourself about a 3/4"-1" head room so your scapes will be fully covered by the liquid with headroom to spare.

Add them to a sanitized canning jar - pack in there!

Tuck sprigs of fresh dill into the spaces and sides. As much as you like - I use about 5 sprigs.



Add any dried herbs you like - I like adding 1-2 teaspoons of pickling spice which includes allspice, coriander, fennel, peppercorns...

In a separate jar, mix 2 teaspoons of sea salt, 2 tablespoons of whey, and about 3/4 cup of room temperature filtered water (If you don't have whey, increase salt to 4 tsp).

Let that brine sit for 10-15 minutes for salt to dissolve.


Pour the liquid over the garlic scapes, and add more water if the scapes are not covered.


Screw lid on tightly and keep at room temp for about 2-3 days, then put in the fridge! You can eat them as soon as they are chilled, but they do get even better after a few more days. They will last a few months in the fridge.

Here are just a few other lacto fermented recipes I like::

| pickles/cucumbers | garlic (yum!) | sauerkraut |


"The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anti carcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine." -Sally Fallon, Nourishing Traditions

12 comments:

leedav said...

I think I'm going to do this with the last few I have lying around. Thanks!

erin said...

I love this blog, I only just found it. I really want to try these...there are some leftover scapes from recent gardeners at our community gardens (well, on the far, not ours really!) and I'm off to see if there are enough after the CSA girls collected for the weekly box.

~Erin

Anonymous said...

Interesting!! I have scapes growing beside my home, and usually just throw them in the food processor with some olive oil and sea salt. Thanks for another use!!

denise said...

Amy Sue - oh yes, I make garlic scape pesto too. Love it! :)

Dawn Suzette said...

love the simple small batches... need to do this more.

Unknown said...

never even heard of garlic scapes before!
i've yet to read that part of the book. but a friend recommended fermented veg to me, for my poor digestion. your post was great to read because i didn't know yet that you could do small batches.

does she cover what sort of whey? i would need to get a hold of some while i'm here in UK.

Ayls said...

Really like this, great post!

Isaac and Elizabeth said...

Great post! I am going to try this! By the way, I've been sharing my CSA shares at my blog: http://izzylizzybzz.blogspot.com/

I linked back to your most recent CSA post on your blog. Have a great day!

Rachel Wolf said...

Can I confess to composting all five jars that I made this year? I suspect I fermented them too long. I couldn't stand the smell of them and tasted one and spit it into the sink. I'll have to come visit and try yours.

denise said...

Rachel - Were they woody/chewy or was it only the flavor was not good? I have wondered if different varieties of garlic have different thickness of stems, etc. and are better/worse for pickling so just curious if yours were fat...

Anonymous said...

Do you mean increase the salt to 4Tbsp or increase the salt by 4 tsp? I'd love to make these tonight...

denise said...

Yes, salt without whey is 4 teaspoons.