Saturday, August 7, 2010

in the kitchen.


While I love trying new recipes and often do, for a lot of my canning and fermenting, I do still rely on my trusted/tested recipes. Here are a few things we are making this summer, which I have made many times before.


lacto-fermented pickles:
Not vinegar based, nice and crunchy, mildly salty, not twangy like vinegar pickles.
lacto-fermented garlic::
I basically use the recipe from Nourishing Traditions. Take up to about 12 heads of garlic, remove the outer skin and then bake the cloves in an oven until the rest of the skin can easily be removed. The garlic is not mushy soft, but slightly soft and aromatic and beginning to look less opaque. Put the cloves in a clean jar. Mix together a few teaspoons of dried herbs (I used dried oregano and rosemary from my garden), 2 teaspoons of sea salt, 2 tablespoons of whey, and about 1/2 cup of water (If you don't have whey, increase salt to 4 tsp). Pour the liquid over the garlic, and add more water if the garlic isn't covered. Screw lid on tightly, keep at room temp for about 2-3 days, then put in the fridge. I crunch on these like they are candy. More mild garlic flavor, and oh so good.
refrigerator pickles::
A vinegar based fridge pickle. Great for small batches.
purple kraut::
I like having more than one type of kraut, and this is a nice mild version which is great as a side dish.

I have a few recipes coming up that I have promised :: pickled beets, pickled daikon, and freezer pickles!

2 comments:

Anna@Tallgrass Kitchen said...

I'm so thrilled to have found you! I just started a food blog a few months ago...I am excited to try fermented pickles this year - where would I get whey? Can I use the stuff drained from my plain yogurt? Looking forward to getting to know you here and at your mom in madison blog.

nia said...

I've been following your blog (and food blog) for a while now and have tried various recipes but today I just needed to comment and leave you a big THANK YOU. I will never ever buy pickled cucumbers from the store anymore. Those are so, so easy to do and they are indescribably better than the store-bought ones.
I tried the vinegar based first because I was in need for pickled cucumbers as quickly as possible :). Today I opened the lacto-fermented batch (cucumbers and zucchini)- WOW - they are so mild yet spicy. As I find this is the more natural way to preserve I will stick to the lacto-fermentation. Thanks a lot for the introduction!