Friday, August 6, 2010

CSA Box: week 8


With no other clues, I would be able to tell it was August by just the contents of my CSA box. The box, so heavy was practically dragged along, much heavier than I am 'supposed' to carry. Once home, the counters loaded, the dehydrator packed, the fridge full, and pots going to blanch and freeze. CSA day is much more than a pickup, it is also cleaning, sorting, preserving, and planning the week ahead!

In the box this week:: 2 types of onions, cabbage, garlic, beets, summer squash, 2 types of lettuce, banana peppers, green peppers, jalapeno pepper, basil, sweet corn, melon, swiss chard, cucumbers, and many kinds of tomatoes!


We are heading out for a few day 'staycation' so I didn't get much extra this week as I won' t have time for food preservation this weekend. So the only extras are mushrooms, garlic, parsley, and oregano!


What was in your CSA box this week, or what is in season in your garden?

4 comments:

Kim said...

How exciting! I miss having a CSA. Last year it was like getting a goody box each week and deciding what to make every week with it all. I went to a local farm a couple days ago and I was shocked to learn tomatoes weren't really in season here until September! Can you imagine!? Oh the waiting.

Angel Funk said...

Wow! That is an awesome box. We had cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini, corn, tomatoes (slicing and cherry), red peppers, eggplant and okra in ours this week!

E. Greene said...

We had escarole, endive, kale, swiss chard, parsley, basil, bok choy, beets, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, hot peppers, sweet peppers, onions, cabbage, and carrots.

I've been following (and loving) your blog for nearly a year and figured I owe it to you to finally leave a comment..

denise said...

Kim - Wow, September? Is it altitude?

MamaAngel - Oh, yum. Cantaloupe is a treat! We get it once a year at most, sometimes not at all here.

E.Greene - Well, thanks for commenting. :) What a great list! We haven't had carrots yet and I cannot WAIT!!!!!