Friday, February 29, 2008

sprout salad with ginger citrus dressing.


We love our sprouts, especially in these dark winter months. We grow them right on the counter, and in a few days we have fresh greens packed with goodness. I love them on eggs, bagel & cream cheese, sandwiches...you name it. While I can eat them raw as finger food, my husband needs a bit of inspiration to enjoy them. I have been experimenting with different dressings to make a sprouts salad - with extra taste and zing.

sprout salad with ginger citrus dressing


ingredients::
1 1/2 cups fresh sprouts
1 small carrot, grated

1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/2 orange, squeezed
2 tsp grated pickled ginger (I used THIS grated pickled ginger--not sushi ginger)
1 tsp juice from the pickled grated ginger bottle
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I also tried it with fresh flax oil - yum!)
dash of freshly ground sea salt & fresh pepper

directions::
Separate your sprouts a bit so they are not clumped together, and put into 2 salad bowls. Grate fresh carrot over the top of the sprouts. Add all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle over the top! I like adding a few extra shreds of the pickled grated ginger on the top for extra zing. Or a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. The taste is so fresh - even my husband finished his in no time flat!


ingredients note::

The sprouts blend I used was this: clover, arugula, cress, radish, fenugreek and dill. Crunchy with a bit of a peppery taste!

The ginger I used was grated ginger from the Ginger People which is like a grated pickled ginger. It is not as 'spicy' as the sushi pickled ginger, although either would probably work...as would freshly grated ginger.

No comments: